“While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.” Anonymous
July 22nd is the day when we all should say “Thank you” to the most important people in our lives – to our parents.
Parents’ Day is not an official holiday, but it is common to pay gratitude to parents on that day in many countries. Parents’ Day is usually associated with people sending cards and gifts, including flowers, cakes and food hampers to parents’ houses. Besides, it is time for families to come together for lunches or dinners.
Being a parent is a huge duty with a lot of challenges. We want to be an excellent parent and give a perfect life for our children.
Good parents don’t just happen. Good parents apply lessons they have learned and continually try to improve themselves and their parenting skills.
Here are 20 tips, which can help us to become an excellent parent, or, at least show the right direction. Do you want to be a good parent? Check them out!
- Be A Good Role Model. Children always copy their parents. Parents need to illustrate good behavior and attitude if you want them to be present in your child’s character.
- Be Clear In What You Want Your Kids To Do. Check that they understand you correct and if not, try to explain it to them in other words.
- Do Not Create Too Many Rules. Explain the rules clearly and stick to them yourself once they are made.
- Encourage And Praise Good Behavior Every Time You See It. Show your children, that good behavior is valued.
- Separate Child From Their Behavior. For example: instead of saying: “you are a bad boy”, try: “I don’t like this mess in the living room”.
- Explain When Correcting. When correcting the behavior, explain the reasons for that.
- Keep Bad Emotions Down! We all are people and sometimes we are really tired and frustrated. If children misbehave, parents often shout on them, but it is a bad method. Count to ten and make a comment with calm voice. It always works better than yelling.
- Give Your Children Chances To Choose. Your children should feel themselves free, but stay in control still.
- Do Not Put Too High Expectations! Do not expect from your child that he/she will start to read at the age of 3. You should be a realist. Children need your help to stay on track and work together with them so that they can learn.
- Spend Time With Your Children And Try To Learn Them Better. Life is busy and all of us have many duties. So we often need to save some time for playing, talking or just hanging out.
- Take A Brake. At the same time, sometimes it is good to take a break. Find some time to be with your friends, read a book or just relax.
- Provide A Great Love To Your Children. They need to feel that their parents are the best. Play games, read stories and discuss different issues with them. All of that shows them your love.
- Make Your Kids A High Priority. Children should play the most important role in your life, not a career or fun. But don’t forget your partner because of the child.
- Strengthen Your Team. It means that parents and children agree beforehand on important issues like rules and discipline.
- Teach Responsibility. For example, children should be responsible for helping to clean up the house and clearing their dishes off of the table.
- Create Connection Through Routines. Family rituals are the bond between family members.
- Respect Your Children. Do not be angry to them because of their opinions. That is just the way they feel.
- Forgive. Sometimes children could do or say something that really hurts you, but do not forget that they are children and they actually did not mean that.
- Learn To Compromise. If your child does not want to clean his room, try to think of some kind of reward or compromise in order to motivate them.
- Never Discriminate. If you have more than one child, you should love them equally no matter what!
Even perfect parents make mistakes. So do not forget that the most important thing is to love your children, whereas everything else comes with experience.
Daria, Relationship Games
Ps. Try our Relationship Games‘ real life special missions for Parents’ Day. And if you come up with some other tips how to be a good parent, please share them with us! We would love to hear more tips!